About Postnatal Massage and Binding
Traditionally, postnatal massage has helped new mothers in many ways. The Javanese postnatal massage technique remains one of Indonesia’s many mysteries and although increasingly popular throughout the world, it is still used primarily by the Indonesian-Malay communities to great effect.
In Indonesia, the postnatal massage treatment usually starts in the morning with the mother bathing in hot water. Whilst bathing, charcoal mixed with herbs is prepared in a pot burner. Following her bath, the mother then spends 15 minutes standing over the charcoal and herbs mixture to warm her body and for tightening the vaginal muscle. The treatment is followed by massaging the body with jamu (herbal medicine in Indonesian) to soothe and relief aches. After the body massage, herbal binding is applied to the abdomen from hip to stomach.
This process helps to clean out any blood remaining in the uterus, firms the muscles, shrinks the stomach, straightens the back and help the mother to regain her figure at an exponential rate. For best results, Indonesians will use this treatment for at least 40 days. In other words, the longer the treatment, the better the results.
Benefits of Postnatal Massage and Binding
1. Eliminates trapped “wind” and toxins released during labor.
2. Helps shrink the stomach, reinstates the uterus to its original size, relieves water retention and straightens the back.
3. Eases muscle and back pain that result from taking care of the newborn.
4. Improves diastasis recti condition.
5. Releases emotional and physical stress that result from lack of sleep and helps prevent postpartum depression and insomnia.
6. Builds up confidence, sense of body image and self-esteem.
7. Helps restore the body to pre-pregnancy figure.
8. Accelerates the healing of a cesarean section birth.
The content of this website is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended as, nor should it be considered a substitute for, professional medical advice. If you have or suspect you have a medical problem, please contact your doctor.